College high school relationship dating
Women were admitted to Trinity College as full members for the first time in 1904.For the period from 1904-1907, women from Oxford and Cambridge came to Trinity College to receive their ad eundem degree and were known as Steamboat ladies.The Library of Trinity College is a legal deposit library for Ireland and the United Kingdom, containing over 6.2 million printed volumes and significant quantities of manuscripts, including the Book of Kells.and had a Chancellor, lecturers and students (granted protection by the Crown) over many years, before coming to an end at the Reformation.
During the following fifty years the community increased the endowments, including considerable landed estates, were secured, new fellowships were founded, the books which formed the foundation of the great library were acquired, a curriculum was devised and statutes were framed.
"The ban" despite its longevity, is associated in the popular mind with Archbishop of Dublin John Charles Mc Quaid as he was made responsible for enforcing the ban from 1956 until it was rescinded by the Catholic Bishops of Ireland in 1970, shortly before Mc Quaid's retirement.
Prior to 1956 it was the responsibility of the local Bishop.
Medical teaching had been given in the College since 1711, but it was only after the establishment of the school on a firm basis by legislation in 1800, and under the inspiration of one Macartney, that it was in a position to play its full part, with such teachers as Graves and Stokes, in the great age of Dublin medicine.
The Engineering School was established in 1842 and was one of the first of its kind in Ireland and Britain.